Yoga Virgin.

I finally attempted yoga. I downloaded the free 20-minute beginner level classes from Yoga Download.

I probably should have read some FAQs about yoga or something. It's not relaxing at all! I thought it would be, I don't know where I got that idea at all. Maybe it is supposed to be relaxing, but it's not for a newbie? I didn't make it through the 20-minute class due to a giggling husband and a curious dog. I guess I need to do this alone.

It's going to take some getting used to. I had always heard of the down dog pose, but I have never really tried it before. Woah. I had no idea I had so many little muscles in the back of my legs. And what was she talking about when she said to ground the knuckle of the thumb and finger into the mat? I lost my concentration there trying to figure that one out. That's when the husband started giggling at me and I missed what I was supposed to be doing and gave up.

So I made it through 4 minutes of the Gentle Hatha Yoga #1 class. Not bad. /sarcasm

I'm going to try this tomorrow when no one is home to bug me and I can throw the dog in the back yard. It's doable, but I need less distraction methinks.

3 comments:

  Anonymous

Tuesday, May 19, 2009

I don't find yoga to be relaxing either. I think you have to learn the poses first and then you can focus on your breathing/holding the pose. I'm just not good at meditation at all.

Any time DBF and I try to do yoga together, I end up laughing too hard to finish. I know I'm not great at it, but I can't see myself. I can see him, however, and he is the least flexible person I have ever seen so it's just hysterical. And, yeah, any time I do floor exercises, my dog starts licking my face! LOL

  Anonymous

Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Sri Krishna Pattabhi Jois, the founder of Ashtanga yoga, passed away Monday at age 93.

  Rose

Wednesday, May 20, 2009

I think certain classes are more relaxing than others. The first time I did yoga, I did a Power Core or something like that - and my arms were killing me by the end. I was exhausted, which led to relaxation - haha.

The other trick is to close your eyes the entire time you do it - once you know the moves. That helps with relaxation so much.