*pants & wheezes*

It seems that my ass got that memo earlier and the we went out for a run.

Let me tell you why I ran.

I don't like to run, as of now. I have all the fun little gadgets (iPod and Nike+ thing, Polar F6 HRM) and cute workout clothes. But I haven't been motivated enough to stick to anything exercise related since I was very active on the tennis team in high school (almost ten years ago!).

I've been getting so lazy lately. And to be honest, I just can't stand it anymore. I'm just about disgusted with the lack of moving around that I do other than trekking my happy ass across campus twice a day (and that only adds up to one mile anyways).

We used to walk the dog every night, but even that ceased. Poor Kosmo!

I thought the best way to get myself in gear would be to have a goal in the near future to work towards. I found a 5K. The Komen Race for the Cure on October 3rd to be exact.

I mentioned it on Facebook and a friend expressed interest as well. So it looks like the three of us (me, husband, friend) will be running the 5K together.

Now, this scares the crap out of me. Here's why:
1. I'd be utterly embarrassed if I couldn't keep up with them.
2. I really don't like to run.
3. I ran a mile today and it wasn't pretty.
4. I really don't like to run.
5. I really don't like to run.

So yeah. My theory is that I don't like to run NOW because I suck at it. I think as I get better I will enjoy it more. I can say that there is something I do like about running - the time after the run where you feel all happy and energized and excited. Is that what people call a runner's high?

As for the mile I ran today...it sucked. Here's why:
1. I walked what I estimate to be about 1/4 mile altogether.
2. It was so hot even though it wasn't in the 100s anymore. I think it was 96?
3. I got all crampy and wheezy.
4. It took me 10 minutes and 56 seconds.
5. The husband and dog showed me up and ran the whole time and finished WAAAAAY ahead of me.

But at least I have a starting point. Since I've got about 3 months, I figure for the first couple of weeks I'm just going to focus on running the mile (or hopefully more if I can) without walking.

On another note, I don't believe FOR A SECOND that anyone can burn enough calories by doing laundry or putting away dishes or vacuuming to even count towards a calorie goal. Seriously people, that is nothing compared to the amount of energy and effort your body has to work to burn the 100ish calories you burn by running a mile. Sure, you may burn calories by doing those things. I mean, you do...heck I'm burning calories right now. But it's not working out. Stop cheating yourself. You know who you are.

2 comments:

  Jenny

Tuesday, June 30, 2009

First of all, bwahahahah.
Secondly, good job for doing it and wanting to get better. My lazy ass just continues to not do anything.

  Lara

Wednesday, July 01, 2009

I ♥ You, that's all I have to say

You rocked out and you're exactly right, expending the energy to do laundry isn't even close to that of a 10 min mile