Experiment.

I'd like to fill you in on an experiment that the husband and I are doing starting tomorrow.

In an effort to slash our grocery bill, eat in more, and eat more healthfully (consistently), we are going to see if we can live on taco salads for a week. Here's the plan.

Smoothies for breakfast in the morning. Eggs are available too (I usually don't eat them, and he never eats breakfast anyways). And oatmeal is always in the house.

Lunch for him is always eaten out with clients, vendors, and such. I always have a snack plate of fruit, veggies + hummus, and chips and salsa or a salad.

Dinner is going to be taco salad every night. His will have chicken, mine will have beans.

I just got back from the grocery store with all the fixins for this plan and only spent $35. THIRTY-FIVE DOLLARS. I usually spend close to $90 on groceries each week, and some of it unfortunately goes to waste :( (I try REALLY hard not to let anything go to waste, but you can only use so much parsley...and the husband typically doesn't bring his leftovers to work anymore and I'm not going to eat chicken breast).

We already had a 4 lb bag of marinated fajita chicken in the freezer. But I had to buy some other odds & ends that aren't normally on the grocery bill that equal roughly what I would have spent on the meat. So it's balance.

I'm really excited for this. Y'all know how much I love me some taco salad, and he would be content eating cardboard everyday if there was salsa on it, so I think this is going to work out...

I'll fill y'all in as we go!

1 comments:

  Erin

Monday, July 13, 2009

Woah girlfriend. $35!! A gold star for you and T! I adore taco salads but never make them.

My soup recipe is super simple. Use a boxed soup as your base (I like poblano corn chowder). Put it in the crockpot. Add in a can or 1 cup of cooked beans. Add in half a head of chopped cauliflower. Add in as many peppers/onions whatever as you like. Cook on high 2 hours.