Tortilla Pie


I got the idea to start my Pantry Cooking Week challenge last night when I threw some stuff I had on hand together and had to run out for 1 ingredient (cheese - because everyone knows that cheese makes or breaks a recipe!)

On-hand ingredients:
Corn tortillas (I had a million, only used 6)
1 lb ground turkey breast
1 can corn
1 can Rotel
1 packet taco seasoning

Make or Break purchased ingredient:
Shredded cheddar

Brown the meat the taco seasoning.
Add the Rotel (undrained) and the corn (drained) and let it simmer.
Layer 3 tortillas on the bottom of a pie plate, layer on 2/3 c. of the meat mixture, sprinkle on some shredded cheddar.
Repeat the layering process one more time.
Cover with foil, bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes.
Sprinkle on a little more cheese, replace the foil, and let it sit on the counter for about 5 minutes to get the cheese melty (using the heat from the dish itself).

The husband loved it! He said it reminded him of his favorite recipe that his mom makes. That's always good! He did add some more heat though, in the form of Tabasco.

To make it even better, I only used about half of the meat mixture, so I froze the rest in a labeled quart-sized freezer bag to use for another meal later on. I’m sure there are some taco shells in the black-hole pantry, if not, I still have a million more corn tortillas I can use and just repeat the same recipe (but maybe I’ll save that for next week so as not to get boring).

0 comments: