Grades, food, prizes, and veggie talk!

Today has been a great day! Well, so far at least. I have a few more hours of chore-y type stuff to do. But I'm in a good mood because of some things that happened today.

First, I thoroughly enjoyed my Christianity class today. It was all about Christianity and the founding of America. So the day started off well.

Then I grabbed some lunch from the UC - a garden salad (with cukes, tomatoes, mushrooms, black olives, and light italian dressing). And that was when I discovered Odwalla bars. I knew about the drinks, but I'd never seen the bars. I chose the Berry GoMega bar. It was delicious and satisfying enough that I only ate half of it after finishing my salad. It had lots of flax seeds in it to give me 1,000mg of Omega-3s! Pretty good stuff. I'm definitely going to have to try the other varieties soon! This, followed by some afternoon gossip in the hallway before class was pretty fun.

In my Addiction class, the prof returned our exams from last week.....I got an A! Well, an A- but it's still an A! I'm so excited about that because I was totally freaking out about this exam before hand. I totally thought I was just going to bomb it, but then I got in there and did my thing and made it happen.

And then to give my day a little icing, I won Erin's POM & Oikos giveaway over at I Walk In This World! I never win anything EVER. This really made my day that much more special. Thanks again, Erin!

In case you were wondering, which you probably were not, here's what my food looked like for today:

B - 1 packet Quaker instant butter grits topped with 1 fried egg, cup of Bigelow Green Tea with Mango

L - Salad, 1/2 Odwalla GoMega bar, bottle of water (I really need to start using my reusable bottle! Shame on me!)

Snack - 1/2 Odwalla GoMega bar, orange

D - leftover Garden Style Lasagna topped with a teaspoon of olive oil

I'm sure I'll snack on something else later as I didn't eat a whole lot today.

Speaking of food....I am thinking really hard about eating vegetarian. I don't like chicken or pork, and I really only like ground turkey and the occasional steak. I can do without the steak and I know I can substitute soy crumbles and such for the ground turkey. I do like seafood, but not a whole lot...and I could do without that as well. My biggest concern with this is that I do not get in enough protein as it is, and if I cut out the meat then I may be making this worse. I'm not fond of tofu, so that's out. I do like beans, but everyone knows the problem that comes with beans...(*snicker*). I like eggs, milk, cheese (except cottage cheese), and I'm learning to like yogurt. I also like protein smoothies. So, we'll see how this goes. I know it's not a test that I'm going to fail or anything, and I know that I don't have to go all or nothing right away. I already barely eat any meat just because I don't care for it, and that's mostly why I thought about being vegetarian. So really, I'm just thinking right now.

Question(s) of the Day:
What are some benefits of eating a vegetarian diet? What is hard about being vegetarian? If you are not a vegetarian, have you ever thought about it, and if so, what deterred you from it?

(Lurkers, you can come out to play in the comments! I promise not to bite, you know, because I don't care for meat....tee hee!)

3 comments:

  Erin

Tuesday, April 07, 2009

I was veggie for 2 years. It wasn't so hard. Especially once you're used to it. I ate a LOT of beans and iron-rich veggies. Dairy has good protein too.

Plus, we actually need we need less protein than the USDA recommends. I bet you'd get enough protein if you worked at it in the beginning.

But, you could just do what you're already doing if you don't have any ethical or moral objections to eating meat. The fact that you eat so little is GREAT for your health and for the planet!

  Elizabeth

Friday, April 10, 2009

I'm a vegetarian & have been since I was 12 (I'm almost 29 now). I just got to a point where I didn't like meat. It's really not a hard way to live. Although I do have to say, you definitely can be an unhealthy vegetarian (I was for many years - it was easy to just eat french fries when out to eat, instead of asking for substitutions).

I echo Erin's sentiments about really needing less protein than you think.

Have you tried greek yogurt? It's super loaded with protein. And the soy crumbles are very easy to use in recipes. How do you feel about nut butters?

Good luck! Even if you just start out with "meatless Mondays" you're doing something good for yourself & the planet. Make it a goal to try a new recipe every week. :)

  Kristan Anne

Friday, April 10, 2009

Elizabeth, I have tried Greek yogurt, but only in recipes. I have been reluctant to try it on its own because I'm very picky about yogurt. Luckily I did win Erin's POM/Oikos giveaway so I have that to try, along with a container of 0% Fage that I have leftover from a recipe. I'll give it a go soon. *crosses fingers*

Nut butters, I love peanut butter. I've yet to try the other kinds, but as soon as I'm through with this container of PB, I'm going to try out cashew butter.

Thanks for your thoughts!