Run.

I haven't gone for a run in a couple of days.

I ran twice on Thursday so I took Friday off and Saturday didn't work out because we stayed out a little too late on Friday night and I was too wiped out to run. Even today I was feeling like skipping a day because of last night's festivities. But I already had 2 days off in a row and thought I should give it another go. If I truly couldn't do it, I could always just walk, right?

The weather said it was hot (99 degree heat index) but it felt so nice out tonight. There was a nice breeze and everything. I chose to run around the lake instead of the block this time. I started out at a leisurely pace because I wasn't sure if I was going to make it the whole mile at a faster pace. The run actually helped me to wake up and not feel so icky, so I stepped it up a bit.

When my Nike+ chick tells me I have 400 meters left, I like to really kick it up. And every 100 meters after that I go a little bit faster until I'm sprinting for the last 100 meters. I really do love this Nike+ thing. I really recommend it, especially if you need some encouragement. I know I really did at the beginning and it's still nice to hear that you're almost done or whatever.

I got my time to 9:56. On Tuesday, June 30th, my mile time was 10:56 with some walking. 5 runs in 6 days later and I'm already down a full minute and no walking. I am extremely proud of myself! :D

Tomorrow is the first day of the second summer session. I am going to run after class on the indoor (air conditioned!) track at the gym there. After today I really feel good about adding some distance, but tomorrow I'm going to only do the one mile so I can have that as a reference point for indoor running. I'm excited to see if not being so hot has much, if any, affect on my time.

I hope everyone had a great weekend! I'm off to shower.

3 comments:

  Danielle

Monday, July 06, 2009

You have reason to be proud! That whole feeling is the only thing that can get myself to run :) congrats!

  Anonymous

Monday, July 06, 2009

I'm a Houstonian, too, and running indoors sounds like a good idea with this dangerous heat!

  Erin

Monday, July 06, 2009

Hon, that is supa awesome on getting your time down already! Congrats!