Nursery Brainstorming

Despite the fact that the husband's crazy job is moving us to another city sometime later this year (please be after the baby is born, please be after the baby is born, please be after the baby is born...), I have decided that I am decorating a nursery, even if we have to abandon it when we move. I want to, so I'm doing it.

My mom is amazing with a sewing machine. I'm still learning, but I think I'm doing fairly well. My sister is also great but I think she prefers knitting. Anyways, between the three of us, I know we'll whip up an elegant but unique nursery. Actually, elegant my not be the word I'm looking for, but oh well.

In the beginning stages of my planning, I really only had these specifications:
1. No store bought nursery bedding sets
2. No happy dancing smiling cartoon animals

I also had to decide what color furniture to get. White or wood? If we went with wood, it has to be the espresso finish, because that's just what both the husband and I prefer.


White

Espresso

But would that go well with white beadboard wainscoting? I really want white beadboard wainscoting. Decisions, decisions. For now we're leaning towards the espresso furniture. But I really want that wainscoting...


Idea


Idea

One day while pondering the nursery, I had a lightbulb moment. Classic cars. Muscle cars. Race cars. Our boy is going to grow up around cars because that is one of his daddy's favorite hobbies. In addition to a 1998 Mustang GT (slowly being turned into a Cobra), we have a 1968 Mustang that will eventually be restored to her full glory. I'm sure Senior and Junior are going to be spending lots of bonding hours in the garage with these ladies.

So I thought the car theme would be perfectly fitting. I ran this past the husband and he thought it was a great idea. Of course he did.

What about this artwork? I love it. Actually, each square is available separately as well, and I think that's the route I would go.



I've also seen a vintage looking service station sign that can be customized with the baby's name. I'm forgetting where I saw it now, and of course I can't find it in my bookmarks. I'll keep searching.

As for bedding, my mom and I will be headed out to the big fabric store downtown soon. I'm not really sure what I'm looking for yet, but I'm sure something will jump out at me. We'll do a valance for the small window, a blanket that can be draped over the side of the crib for decoration, some throw pillows for a chair and some bigger pillows for the floor. I'll probably use one of the many tutorials I've seen around the sewing blogs for a changing table pad as well. I'm not planning on doing bumpers. I think we'll make the blanket bigger than crib size so that the baby can use it on his toddler bed later and it won't look too small. I am also on the lookout for a gently used glider & ottoman set. I plan on recovering the cushions in a coordinating fabric.

And finally, this baby of ours definitely needs this as his very first Mustang.

1 comments:

  Bliss Papers

Friday, April 30, 2010

I love the idea of the vintage/race/awesome cars for a nursery theme! Unique, appropriate and reflective of daddy's favorite things!!