Houston needs some farmer's markets

Yes, I know we have some. But to be honest, they not that good and definitely not worth me driving a million miles to get to them. Of course they're only in the "trendy" parts of town, where all the rich private school college kids live. And they're all only open on Saturday before noon. I've been to that part of town on Friday night...there's no way ANY of those kids are getting up in time to shop at these markets.

I've made the trek a few times, only to find severely overpriced stuff, and a severely tiny selection. Maybe I'm asking too much, but I'm not really interested in driving 45 minutes to get to the place only to walk away with a small $200 thousand dollar jar of honey (okay, so it was like $18, but seriously $18?!).

I realize that it's my choice to live out here. I'm trying not to complain too much. I guess I just think that maybe, just maybe, if there were markets located - I don't know - WHERE PEOPLE LIVE, maybe they might sell lots of stuff. And that's the point right? For the farmers to make some money on their bounties?

I am so jealous when I read about other people's farmer's market hauls. So many other cities and towns have great farmer's markets. I don't know who's in charge of picking places for farmer's markets, but if there is some committee out there, please set up a couple in the very populous Houston suburbs. You know, the areas full of families with kids and other people that get up early because they aren't hungover from spending the previous evening at Baker Street or Woodrows or Brian O'Neils. People that are interested in helping out farmers buy purchasing their organic greens and pretty flowers, their free range eggs and grass fed cuts of beef.

I have found a great pick-your-own farm out here near me that I've tried out (Chmielewski’s Blueberry Farm), but they only have blueberries as far as I know. I love blueberries, so I'll make a trip soon. Another farm I keep meaning to get to is Matt Family Orchard. They host a farmer's market on Fridays and Saturdays, and they have pick-your-own blackberries this time of year. Google maps says this place is only 30 minutes from me, so I think I'm going to try to hit it up this morning.

I better get going then, if I'm going to convince the husband to go with me :) Have a wonderful Saturday!

1 comments:

  Season

Sunday, May 30, 2010

There is supposed to be a good one in the Rice University parking lot on Tuesdays, but I've never been. I keep saying I'm going to go, but I never remember on Tuesdays.

http://farmersmarket.rice.edu/